Thursday, February 23, 2012

Friend or Foe?


The gluten-free craze is gathering momentum. A healthcare practitioner recently informed Lauren of the so-called benefits of a gluten free diet. It resonates immediately with her. As far as I can tell, there is little or no scientific evidence to indicate that gluten-free is more healthful. However, anecdotal reports include an improved sense of well-being and increased energy (among other things).

If one googles “gluten-free,” one of the first thing that comes up is that it helps with weight-loss. I imagine this occurs largely because people abstain from indulging in fast foods, fried foods (often coated in batter and loaded with grease), and desserts (let’s be honest – gluten free desserts just don’t taste nearly as good!). People report feeling less bloated. Is this actually the case or are they just less full? After all, they’ve likely consumed less fiber, less food, and yes – fewer calories. So, for someone in recovery from an eating disorder, this is dangerous territory.

A huge red flag goes up, in fact, more like a hot air balloon. I am alarmed at statements such as, “ I can’t eat……… because it's wheat.” Sentences pertaining to food that are delivered in black and white terms send off deafening alarm bells as I feel my heart racing. I take a deep breath, stay outwardly calm, and allow for the fear to dissipate slightly. I convince myself it’s okay as I think of all the people who suffer from celiac disease. Well, if they can maintain good health being gluten-free, perhaps Lauren can too.

We spend time scrutinizing labels in supermarkets as we enter the vast gluten-free world. Her car is loaded to the brim with her guitar, college essentials, and bags of gluten-free products. Will she benefit from this new fad? Or is this ED in another guise? Time will soon tell. I remain suspicious but open-minded.

No comments:

Post a Comment