Friday, November 18, 2011

Helicopter Parenting

We all know that being a helicopter parent is synonymous with bad parenting. Children sympathize with their friends who have to suffer parents as they eagerly police every aspect of their children’s lives. Parents are quick to judge other parents who are terribly controlling and clearly don’t realize the importance of letting their children learn by making their own mistakes.


Is helicopter parenting ever justified? In the case of caring for a loved one with an eating disorder, absolutely “yes!” I confessed this to a nutritionist the other day, whom I’d never met, and was surprised at how easily it slipped off my tongue. There was no shame and I made no apology for the new hat that I recently acquired. This is not a role I chose but found myself in when my daughter faced this devastating illness. What shocked me was how abruptly I changed parenting styles. I had to learn fast and go through hell.


But we find the strength, somehow, because the stakes are so high. There’s a winner and a loser in this battle, and I’m going to do my damnedest to make sure my daughter wins. So, if you are told to “back off’ or worse, that your child’s illness is due to overbearing mothering, it’s time to fire the health care provider! You are your child’s best advocate and don’t let anyone try to persuade you otherwise. Here’s to all the helicopter parents who are continually shot down but manage to soar again, and again. And survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment