Monday, May 9, 2011

A Perfect Gift

-->
            Sustained nutrition is the goal of Phase I in Maudsley. This involves unrelenting teamwork between the parents (or caregiver). It is exhausting but we keep going because there is no other option. When do carers know when to step back? We have been working on this as we focused on Phase II – handing over food control so that independent eating can be re-established. We’ve made some mistakes in our enthusiasm for speeding up the process but that’s all part of the learning process.
            There’s nothing like an unexpected challenge to evaluate progress. I was largely gone for 10-days while I served as a juror in an agonizing, high profile, emotionally charged trial. Lauren remained strong even though she had a personal connection to the trial as she grieved the loss of her friend. I don’t know where ED was, but he was conspicuously absent. Recovery continued unabated even when Lauren and I became ill following the trial. I suddenly realized how far she has come. Perseverance is paying off. Fear of failure  dissipates. Trust and hope prevail.
            I treasure the quotes that she places around the house for me to stumble upon such as: “A mother is the one who is still there when everyone else has deserted you.” She is facing her biggest fears, and winning. We have become spectators to her healing and she is in charge.
            Lauren is back. What more could I ask for on Mother’s Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment