Sunday, March 20, 2011

What a Ride


            Days of relative calm are interrupted by a tornado. It is so unexpected but the pattern is becoming all too familiar. She feels her body changing and hates it. Incessant sobbing – she is paralyzed by despair. She mourns the loss of being skinny. She yearns for an item of clothing to fit as it did before. I consistently remind her that everything she says is ED, ED, ED, but she is not hearing me. Overwhelmed and helpless, she capitulates. I tell her how sorry I am that she has to suffer so much. She doesn’t deserve this. Deep inside I wonder, “Can she pull through? When will she divorce ED?” It takes an average of 7 times for a victim of domestic violence to leave their abuser before they can finally break away.
We are one storm closer. One day closer. And that sustains me.

            Yesterday is but a dream,
            Tomorrow is only a vision.
            But today, well-lived, makes every yesterday a dream of happiness,
            And every tomorrow a vision of hope.
                        ~excerpt from Salutation to the Dawn, Kalidasa~

No comments:

Post a Comment